Friday, November 15, 2013

"I say there is no Darkness but Ignorance."

You know what is an amazing and incredibly fun thing to do? Learning something.

I feel like this fact has been put in our faces so much by faded old posters on the backs of dusty library doors that people have forgotten how true it actually is. When you approach something you don't know anything about, or very little about, and are able to actually learn how to do it or what it means or how it works--well, the feeling is like nothing else is the world. At least to me, maybe you like feeling stupid, I don't know.

I think that as children we all find learning very easy, and why not? Our brains are as plastic and mercurial as they will ever be. They're begging for input like Jonny Five in a bookstore. We can learn without even trying as kids, whether it be walking, speaking, smiling, whatever--our brains learn instinctively so we don't even have to try.

It is a great tragedy that we as a society don't try harder to nourish and encourage that type of easy and free learning forever. I mean we do, sort of, see the aforementioned shitty posters. Bonus points if there's an apple or some equally trite crap on there. But our system of education is not geared towards learning, just instruction. Memorization. People say you should go to school so you can get a job, so you can get money, buy things, have a mortgage. They don't say you should go to school to learn. They see people who major in art or theater...or English and scoff at them. What a waste of money, a worthless degree. They casually disregard all of the knowledge and learning a person gains from that sort of education, immediately calculating about what material wealth the learning will give them and then callously mocking the person.

And fuck me, they're probably right. I'll probably live the rest of my life working shit jobs doing manual labor or telling black kids to behave or making wealthier people food. And that sucks, because money is great. But I have to wonder, in a world where wanting to learn for the sake of learning is a "waste of time" and all of life has to be focused on profit and loss and getting paid, are people like me the ones who are wrong? Maybe the world should try to be more like us, you know? I think a world where everyone learned art and poetry and network programming would be a better world for everyone.

But I'm getting off subject here. I don't want to whine about how unfair it is that no one wants to pay me to read Lord of the Flies to them and talk about the metaphysical properties of the conch. I'll probably write that blog in a month or so. What I want to talk about is the actual experience of learning and how fucking great it is.

I mentioned the ease with which very young children learn. We all know as time goes on it becomes harder to learn. The brain becomes less elastic. Patterns get worn into our ways of thinking, we struggle to change or add even simple things. One way to combat this, I think, is to always be learning something--be that through reading lots of books, listening to lots of music, watching lots of movies, anything where you're actually engaging your brain, not just staring at some brainless reality show or listening to some by the numbers song. It keeps your mind a little more agile, a bit more adaptive.

The other way, I think, is to meet someone who is really good at something or very passionate about it.

I have two friends who are DJs. They play at clubs I'd never go to and dress with more style when they roll out of bed than I'd manage if I spent five hours trying to pick out cool clothes at the Cool Clothes for Cool Cats store. I've heard the music they make and it's fucking phenomenal. It's so totally outside of my understanding or capability that I'd never hope to actually study it and understand it--but talking to them about it I feel like I am gleaning some small bit of the obviously massive knowledge they have built up over the years about musical theory and even just the computer programs they use to create the stuff. It's a heady feeling, a great feeling, meeting someone that knows so much about something they obviously love so much.

But let's not limit these thoughts to this wishy-washy liberal arts bullshit. My girlfriend's brother is a student learning computer programming. He's got more brains in his occipital lobe than I do in my whole nervous system. I know pretty much jack shit about computer programming. I know it has lots of different "languages" and that's about it. But when I hear this guy talking about writing code I'm always super interested, learning what I can even in simplified moron talk is absolutely fascinating to me. It makes me sad that I can't reset my life at like 18 and start learning this stuff, then reset it again and learn how to DJ, then reset again and learn about drumming or sky diving or neurology or sculpture or any of a million other things that a person could spend forever learning about.

It's a depressing reality that I often don't get to have as long and involved conversations with these sorts of people as I'd like. People don't always like talking about this stuff with weird guys like me, and it can be awkward as hell trying to tease out this sort of information for people. Still, when you can get someone who obviously loves and is knowledgeable about something to talk about it at length I encourage you to pick their brains as long as you can. You'll find yourself learning things in a way that reading a wikipedia page just cannot compare to.

And then you'll get that sweet, sweet knowledge high.

No comments:

Post a Comment